Monday, March 06, 2006

Road Trip

Not so much to report today. I took my rental car on a road trip. I’ll spare you most of the details, but driving here isn’t my favorite hobby. There seems to be some Jewish law against street signs. That I got to where I was going and back owes a great deal to luck.

I drove to Nazareth, Megiddo, and Sepphoris. Eventually you see the pictures show up in sermons and classes.

Nazareth is a zoo. In conjures up images of a sleepy, rural village. In reality, it is a huge, crowded city with small streets built on a series of steep hills and valleys. Nothing like it was in Jesus’ time. Here is what I saw a great deal of:

That would be cars not moving.

Here’s a little what it looks like from up above (if the picture looks fuzzy, it was a very hazy day):

On the flip side, Sepphoris is a little visited site of a 1century Roman/Greek town that is just over the hill from Nazareth. The homes were filled with beautiful mosaics. I think it likely that both Jesus and his earthly dad worked here. Interesting to see the ruins of houses God’s Son might have helped build.

Al