Monday, November 10, 2008

A Free Day in the Old City to Wrap Things Up

Sadly, today is our last day. We had to meet at the Western Wall at Noon to tour a tunnel that ran along the 2000 year old foundations of the Western retaining wall Herod built in Jesus time. We had no tour guide, so I had to fill in what little I knew.
This part was a 2100 year old water channel cut in bedrock.
After this, everyone wandered off to shop, sightsee, eat, whatever.
At 6:15 we loaded on the bus and had a special dinner at a place called Pasha’s. By the way, if any of you see any pictures of me with a nargile pipe, let’s just assume the picture is digitally altered.
We went off to the airport of a late night flight. We had a few misty eyes as most of our folks said goodbye to Sam and the most unique place on earth.
I include this for my friend Todd Bolen, so he can see how his old friend Shabban's new shop is coming along.
Always nice to finish with a scenic shot....but...
Just when I thought the story was about to close, I got a phone call from Ariana, saying that baggage handlers were on strike and the plane might not be going anywhere. That sparked a few frantic phone calls, but it does look like the plane finally left, just a little late.

I hope that A: the luggage made the flight too; B: they made their connection at JFK. I’ll know soon.