Wednesday, July 13, 2005

I'm Here

Well, I made it to Antalya. It’s a long time in a plane. At least on the Seattle to Amsterdam route we had a new Airbus with individual video screens for each seat.

It is hot and humid here. Reminds me of some of the worse Summer days when I lived in Michigan. Heat will be one of our worst enemies on this trip.

I met Alisha at a worship service at the St. Paul’s Center. Mostly people from the various projects and service teams that are here. I had dinner with Ben and Verna King, Alisha, and the four summer interns from University Pres in Seattle. It was a modest neighborhood café. Dinner for seven was 40 Turkish lira….$30. If only it didn’t cost so much to get here.

Tomorrow I rent a car and head into the mountains.

Notes for the team:-It’s easy to find the Visa window in Istanbul. You’ll see a sign as u get into the passport area and lines at the windows. Remember, $20 cash.-As I left the passport control area after I got my luggage, the officer asked to look in the craft box. I opened it and after looking for about 1 second, he said OK. Don’t worry if this happens to you.

-Ignore all the guys who ask you if you need the domestic terminal. That’s where you’re going, but you can find it on your own and they will expect a tip if they help you.

-OnurAir has ticket windows in the domestic terminal. I had then change my flight, but then had to pay for my flight. If this happens to you, don’t freak out, pay for the flight with a credit card and we’ll work it out with the travel agent in Antalya.

Things are off to a good start. Bye.

Pastor Al