Sunday, February 21, 2010

Lutherstad Wittenberg

Let me start with a few side comments. First, allow me to continue my rant on the German transportation system. Today, I went to Wittenberg. I had to first travel about three miles to the main train station. There is a metro train (S Baun) that goes directly there from the station one block from our pension. It should have been a 10 minute ride to get to my 9:17 train. It wasn’t.

I had to change trains three times to get there. Add to that the fact that trains seems to run 10-20 apart. It took me almost 45 minutes and I missed the cheap 9:17 train to Wittenberg. No problem, I buy the expensive ticket for the nice ICE train. At least I get a nice ride for 40% more. I go to the #1 rail line, the train arrives, it has my train number on the outside and inside displays. I get in and sit down. But, it doesn’t leave on time. It doesn’t leave at all. I don’t know what happened, but eventually someone walks down the train and tells me, in German, to get off as the train was now out of service.

So I now get to wait 45 minutes and ride a cheap train with my expensive ticket. I never want to hear about German efficiency ever again.



Things get better. I arrived in Wittenberg to light snow and took a taxi to the historic town center. It seems that on Sundays everything but the historical sites are closed, which was wonderful. It left me with an almost empty, quiet, peaceful little village. A delight after the big cities we’ve been in.

This was a great visit. I toured Martin Luther’s house (which is now a great museum), the church he preached in, and the grand Castle Church where is 95 Thesis were posted (well, at least the re-built church, the original was mostly destroyed in a local war several centuries ago).

It was just great to walk down the same path the Luther would have walked as he strode paper in hand, from one end of town to the other to post his ideas for debate – not knowing how that action would change both Christianity and the world forever.




Some local color. Wittenberg is in the heart of what used to be East Germany.

The Town Church where Luther preached. A beautiful sounding choir was rehersing in Latin as I toured the church. It sounded heavenly.


Below is the Castle Church, where Luther posted his discussion proposals on the door and where he is buried.
Re-creation of the doors.



Tomorrow we fly to Amsterdam mid-day, to position ourselves for our flight home on Tuesday. I’m tired, but it’s been an amazing trip for me and I have over 2000 photographs to use as teaching resources into the future. This will probably be my last post, so thanks for reading. God Bless!