Saturday, October 24, 2015

Last Day

Like all good trips, there is both joy and sorrow in coming home. Our last day was a short one. First, a stop at the Garden Tomb to view an interesting tomb that was definitely NOT the tomb of Jesus, but the lovely gardens were a great place to celebrate the Lord's Supper.



Next to the Israel Museum. We visited three sections: The model of 1st C Jerusalem; a display of the Dead Sea Scrolls, and the archaeological museum. Way too much to see for the short time we had.










Afternoon was free time. Some went back to the hotel. Others were dropped off at the Jaffa Gate of the Old City to do some shopping. They're not all back yet, so it remains to be seen how well this worked out. Personally, I hopped a city bus and went to the Damascus Gate. Got a 7NIS ($1.50) street falafel for lunch and went in to see a couple of old friends: Shabban at his Ali Baba shop and Eli Kouz (who has sold ceramics from his shop for 60 years). They either remember me every time I stop in or the lie about it really well (honestly, they do seem to know me, but I'm not sure how).




PS-If you ever wondered what was under those cover up clothes that many Arab women wear, just looking at the stall just inside the Damascus Gate in the Muslim Quarter may have you thinking twice.
There goes the "G" rating for my blog. We leave for our 5:20 AM flight home at midnight. At 2am Sunday is daylight savings time in Israel - fall back. For some reason no one will explain to me, our local tour company has us leaving WAAAAY too early. We'll be at the airport five hours before our flight. I have twice tried to talk the out of this folly. Pray for my patience. Very long day ahead.

Thanks for reading!