Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Jewish Quarter

Today I dragged Shawn around the Jewish Quarter and the City of David. Most of this was old ground for me, but I wanted him to see and experience it.


First, a look at a 7th C BC wall built by Jewish King Hezekiah

2 Chr 32:5 "Then he (Hezekiah) worked hard repairing all the broken sections of the wall and building towers on it. He built another wall outside that one and reinforced the supporting terraces of the City of David. He also made large numbers of weapons and shields."



Then a trip under a building to visit the remains of a 1st C AD mansion that was destroyed by the Romans in 70AD, along with the whole city. A good case can be made that this is the house Jesus was taken to in John 18:12-13.


Next stops at the Western or Wailing Wall, followed by a visit to the Southern end of the Temple - the place between the City of David and the Temple itself.



Then into the City of David, the ancient part of Jerusalem. Here are remains of what very well may have been David’s and Solomon’s Palace.


Then a trip down the long tunnel that connected to the Canaanite era water supply.


Followed by a quick look into the Gihon Spring

Then I begged and bribed (literally) my way into a closed section of a newly discovered section of Herodian (1st C AD) road and drainage tunnel. This may have played a part in the story of Jesus healing a blind man in Jn 9:7.


Tonight is our last night. We have a late night flight home tomorrow. I always feel a sense of loss when I leave Jerusalem. But I am also weary of  two weeks hard touring, my knees ache like crazy at every stair, rain has started, and another part of me longs to be home.
 I may add a few posts when I get home, but this will probably be my last post for a few days. Thanks for reading!