Friday, February 24, 2012

Up to Jerusalem

We spend the night at a wonderful German Guesthouse right on the Sea of Galilee. I think next time I bring a group, we'll stay here for our northern leg of the tour.

I took Shawn to Capernaum, really the most spiritually moving place in Israel for me. You can literally stand in the same place Jesus stood as he worshipped and taught in the 1st century synagogue. This is ground zero for Jesus' ministry and I never get tired of going here.




On the way back south, I drove into the ruins of Migdal---the town where Mary of Migdal (Mary Magdalene) was from. Only in the past few years have they excavated the site and I got a few pictures taken before we were run off (literally).


Next stop, Nazareth and the grand church there build around a 1st century home of the village. Mary's home/Jesus's home??? Maybe, but all the vallage homes would have been very close as it was a small village. Stand here and you are within probably no more than 100 yards of where Mary was spoken to by Gabriel and where Jesus grew up.


We made a quick foray into the old Nazareth souk, the old shopping "mall" that is centuries old. I am reminded why I like to get my meat from the store on nice little wrapped white plates that don't remind me what it really is.


 I was able to find a 1st century rolling stone tomb I had read about near Megiddo. A very cool example of how this tomb worked. It was a nice plus, because when we got to Megiddo we were too late to get in...they close early on Fridays because of the Sabbath.



We did make it to Jerusamen and are in out guesthouse deep inside the Old City. The place is wonderful, if a real pain to get your luggage to.
This evening we went to the Western Wall as Jews gathered for the Sabbath.